Use seasonal vegetables and you’ll be making this over and over. The list I suggest is based on what I used last time, but it can vary.
- 2 carrots
- Half a stack of celery
- 2 parsnips
- 1 leek
- 2 cups of sliced cabbage
- 1 small can of chopped tomatoes
- Kidney beans, soaked overnight
- A chunk of prosciutto (optional)
- A piece of salted pork belly, soaked overnight (overnight)
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Use the same pot to soak the salted pork belly, prosciutto and kidney beans.
- The next day, drained them, add again water and boil until beans are tender.
- Meanwhile, cut the vegetable in pieces (I like mine cut up quite small so I get a bit of everything with each spoonful).
- Finish the soup cutting the meat in small pieces and returning to the pan, adding vegetables, tomato, a good splash of olive oil and pepper. Add salt, if needed. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Serve with croutons.
I like to add a little red wine to my bowl of soup. You should try it at least once in your life.