I find stews with red sauce particularly appealing, as the one below. Don’t be shy with the oil, as it gives the dish the depth it asks for. Balance the richness with a side dish of fresh vegetables and pickles.
- 1 kg beef shank cut in medium pieces
- 2 onions, chopped as finely as you can
- 2 tablespoons tomate paste
- A handful of dried plums
- 4 potatoes, cut in medium cubes
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- Sauté meat and onions in vegetable oil for 10-15 minutes. Then add 3 glasses of water and cook until meat is tender.
- Add tomato paste, potatoes and plums and cook until potatoes are done.
- Give the dish the final touch with turmeric and salt to taste. Serve.
Tips&Tricks: To freeze it, do it before putting in the potatoes and plums and add when reheating the stew.