I know salted cod is an acquired taste, but it’s well worth the effort of learning to love it. When, as a kid, I was asked what foods I didn’t like I would answer “everything but salted cod”. Not anymore.
If you cannot find good salted cod, do it yourself.
- 500g chickpeas, soaked overnight
- A small onion, chopped
- 500g salted cod, soaked overnight
- 1 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- Bay leaf
- Olive oil
- Gently sauté the onions with some olive oil.
- Add drained chickpeas and gently boil until tender. Do not use much water and add a bit more if necessary. You can either make a soup or a stew, depending on the amount of water you use. I like it on the soup side because salted cod skin has so much gelatin you’ll end up with a silky broth to die for.
- Add paprika and a good splash of olive oil.
- Add cod, cover the pot and turn off the heat.
I’ve just had three serving of this soupy stew today for lunch. My wife, two. I was going to freeze some, but I guess I will have to start over…