This dish uses almost the same ingredients as lamb with chestnuts but instead of sautéing you directly boil the meat and onions without stirring. It’s a good example of how combining the same ingredients but using different techniques produces different flavors and textures.
- 1 kg of lamb, cut in small pieces
- 4 onions, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 or 2 pomegranates
- Put lamb and onions in the pot.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and cook until the meat is tender. Do not stir.
- Add turmeric and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add pomegranate seeds and serve.
A simple combination of meat, onions and time that creates a warm and profound dish.
- 1 kg lamb, cut in small pieces
- 3 onions, sliced
- Vegetable oil and salt.
- Brown the meat over medium heat, stirring once in a while.
- Add onions and keep cooking over medium-low heat until meat is tender and onions have melted into a rich brown sauce.
- Add chestnuts and keep cooking for 15 minutes. Done.
This dish freezes very well.
This recipe comes from a book I bought many years ago, before the internet was mainstream and Yahoo! was still a young exciting company. I still use it because it’s filled with simple recipes that seem quite authentic.
- 1kg lamb, cut in bit sized pieces
- 1/2 cup of strained yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of dry ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or mint
- Mix meat with dry ginger, yogurt and salt and cook uncovered until the sauces starts to stick to the bottom of the pot, stiring ocasionally.
- Add paprika and grated ginger, stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add water and simmer uncovered until the sauces thickens and the meat is very tender. You can achieve a better result doing this in four steps, adding half a cup of water at a time.
- Add garam masala and chopped cilantro, stir well and serve with white race and a onion sambal.
The sauce has a nice sandy texture and it’s full of flavor. A small serving goes a long way with steamed rice.
It freezes very well.