It couldn’t get simpler than this. This dish all it basically needs is time.
Don’t confuse fat with gelatin. Oxtail contains a lot of the latter. You’ll be rewarded with tender and unctuous meat that asks for yet another glass of wine.
- Oxtail, cut in pieces
- a chopped medium onion
- two cloves of garlic, chopped
- bay leave
- a bottle of good red wine
- butter or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper.
- Brown onion and garlic in some butter or oil.
- Add meat and enough wine to cover it.
- Let it simmer for 2-3 hours over very low heat until meat is done, dark and bright.
Best eaten with rich mashed potatoes or parsnips.